Monday, December 13, 2010

The Rest of the Great Week

We had a little scare on Thursday when we found out Brian's boss quit her job. I was a bundle of nerves wondering if Brian would still have a job in May. We found out on Friday that all was good and he was invited back! Whew!

Friday was chore day. It's the day that we agreed that Brian would take the laundry to the laundromat and I would do the dishes. I know that being laid off gives me no excuse not to do dishes everyday. But I think I mentioned before how much I dislike this particular chore and if you hate doing something, it doesn't matter how much time you have, there's always something better to do. Back in the summer I hardly ever had to do dishes because we ate out all the time. But now we were eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at home and the evidence was in the sink. And on the counter. Oh, I had waited way too long.

I don't know if we have a smaller hot water heater than most but we only have about 20 minutes of hot water. So I would do dishes for 20 minutes, then take a break for 20 minutes. This went on for FIVE HOURS. It took me five hours to do the dishes. Ok, so maybe I was taking breaks for an hour and not 20 minutes. Whatever. At least they eventually got done and it felt fabulous. I told Brian when he got home with the laundry that I wasn't going to wait that long ever again. "I can't believe I waited until every dish in the house was dirty." And he said, "Not everything was dirty. You know those yellow things you stick into corn on the cob? I saw a few in the silverware drawer. I was about to use one as a fork." In my defense, I should tell you that we don't have many dishes to begin with. We have 4 plates, like 6 glasses...so I'm not the worst housewife that ever lived. Just not the best.

Saturday we rolled out of bed sometime around 1pm and got a phone call from my dad. He was asking me if we were prepared for the blizzard. What blizzard? Apparently we were the only 2 people in the US who didn't know there was a blizzard headed towards us and expected to begin in just 6 hours. Seriously, when we turned on the TV it actually said "Blizzard Warning." I thought blizzards only happened at the North Pole! We haven't even got an ice scraper for the car yet! So we made another trip to Cheboygan for an ice scraper and cookie-baking ingredients. I figured I mines well make myself useful if we're snowed in.

The Blizzard is over now and we survived. Brian even cleared out our entire driveway (it's like 80 feet long and wide enough for 2 cars!). The front yard is alright but the snow drift out back goes up to my chest! We were only stuck inside for 2 days and Brian is getting cranky. He says he's tired of sitting home playing video games. I understand, but what are we supposed to do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what mom thinks ???