Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Magic of Tide

Sorry I haven't written anything in awhile. Brian started playing this online game called Evony and now he's on the computer 24-7. Seriously, he doesn't even sleep! I did get the Wii game I wanted so that kept me busy for awhile. I pulled the chaise right in front of the TV, grabbed a blanket and a drink and sat there from morning til night for like 5 days in a row. I did take some breaks to cook dinners, bake cookies and wash dishes. I've been having more energy lately and tons of extra time to try to be a little more domesticated. When I went home at the beginning of the month my dad took us to Sam's Club to get some things for the house. I love shopping with my dad because he knows the meaning of the phrase "you get what you pay for" and he doesn't mind paying for it. It's a nice change from shopping with Brian who goes for the cheapest item every time. He's what I call "frugal." I wouldn't mind being a part of a frugal family if it actually got us anywhere in the end...like somewhere tropical. But since it doesn't seem to help any, I'd rather just have the good stuff! So instead of using a 74 cents bottle of regular Dawn dish soap, I'm now using Dawn Hand Renewel with Olay in Pomegranate Splash scent. It works better, it goes farther and by golly does it ever smell fab! I'm not saying it makes me like doing dishes but it definitely makes it suck a little less!

I remember when Brian first moved in with me he came home from the store with Xtra laundry detergent and I actually screamed out loud in horror. I took him to the bedroom, pulled a hoodie out of the closet that hadn't been worn in 2 years (you don't need hoodies in the south) and showed him how incredible it still smelled. That's the magic of Tide. We agreed that we would do what we had to do to afford Tide; order from the dollar menu instead of getting a value meal, cut coupons, stock up on sale items, and I hate to admit this, but we actually bought tubed hamburger meat a few times. I might have felt a little queasy while making spaghetti but at least our clothes always smelled good. I guess the fact that we still have Tide in the laundry room is a sign that we're doing alright. I mean, we could be far worse. When I was home for the holiday weekend I saw a tent city set up on the side of 75. They even had a clothesline! It was really, really cold, too. So we are doing ok. Actually, we are way better than ok compared to people living in tents. There was a time when I thought using Xtra was as bad as it could get but now that just makes me sound incredibly superficial and spoiled. I guess you could say that I've learned a little this last month about what's really important in life and it's not laundry detergent. Not that I won't be ready to be spoiled again when this mess with UA is over! LOL

No comments: