Saturday, September 24, 2011

Now It's Time To Say Goodbye

We are leaving on Saturday morning. We've booked our moving truck, set up installation for cable and internet and turned on the gas and electricity. I am looking forward to being near my family but there's definitely things about northern Michigan that I'll miss.

  • The quietness. The sounds of trains blowing their horns, car alarms going off in the middle of the night, ambulances, fire trucks, police sirens...we don't hear those kinds of things here.

  • The safety. This is a doors-left-unlocked kind of place. We don't generally have to worry about crime. And it's very unlikely that a serial killer would accidentally stumble upon our house at night because it's so dark around here you can't even see our house at night! P.S. Serial killers do accidentally stumble upon their victims. If you don't believe me watch this episode of Dateline. P.P.S. I should probably refill my Lexapro...and stop watching Dateline.

  • The stars. There are so many! Downstate we have like 5 on a clear night.

  • The fall colors. The pic in the background of this blog hasn't happened yet and we won't be here when it does. Leaves change color down there, too, except there aren't very many trees.

  • The sun setting in my backyard.



  • Being surrounded by Great Lakes.

  • Pizza from Nonna Lisa's. I can't figure out why, but it really is the best pizza ever.

  • Bloody Marys from Audie's. Olive-infused vodka, salt and pepper rim, pickle in the glass and a beer chaser! YUM!



  • Drying my clothes on a clothesline. That's such a country thing.



  • Our secret beach on Rte 2



  • The perennials that grow all over the yard.



  • The swing.



  • Ian's bright Peanuts-themed nursery. I wish there was a way to take it with us.



  • The Superman ice cream at Kilwin's. Even if it is ridiculously expensive, it's also ridiculously good! And their toasted coconut fudge is to-die!



  • My job and my coworkers, most of whom are pretty laid-back and likable, some are even lovable. I have worked with several mortal versions of satan in the past. Nobody here comes close to that.

  • My aunt's pool



  • My pediatrician and OBGYNs.

  • Seeing the hospital where Ian was born. Every time I drive by it I get a huge rush. I had the best experience there and I can't help but wonder if the "big city" hospitals are as good to their patients. I really doubt it.

  • The small population. Less people equals less traffic, less stoplights, less douchebags hogging the whole aisle at Walmart. Yes, I am definitely a fan of the small population!

  • And last but not least, I know all three of us will miss my aunt and cousins. I'm glad we got to spend the last year and half with them.
I know I complained about it endlessly last winter because it really does suck being bored, lonely and cold for 6 loooooooong months but this place has its charms and I've learned to appreciate them. And who knows, if neither of us end up finding a fantastic this-could-actually-be-a-career kind of job, we might be back up in May. Just as long as I'm far away before winter...

1 comment:

CaSandra said...

Awwwww, Jodes!!! Everything you listed are def things I would miss too. But, I promise if you left downriver you would miss more!!! We are going to catch you up with all the great sushi places, martini bars, and family loving!!!